Wednesday, February 19, 2014
When Rae of Made by Rae released her Josephine Pattern last week, I immediately knew that I wanted to make it. This is available now as a pdf sewing pattern, which is easy to print out on your home printer. There are only 3 pattern pieces (front, back, and sleeves), so it isn't too much trouble to tape the pieces together. Normally I like a fitted look, and I saw Rae's version below in the middle with the tie, and I knew that would be the one for me.
This is a very easy pattern to sew together, so I would recommend it for a confident beginner. It took me between 2-3 hours to make the entire thing last night. I used a voile Tula Pink fabric that you can find at I Heart Tula Pink. This is a very soft and comfortable top to wear in the voile! I have some new fabric by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics coming this week, so I will try the top again in the soft Art Gallery substrate.
Although there is a blouse length, I decided to go with the tunic length so that I could wear it with leggings. My favorite part about this top are the 6 pleats that run from top to bottom. The pleats are very easy to make. Instead of the longer sleeve that came with the pattern, I used my favorite sleeve from the Serendipity Studio Naomi Dress; it's an easy cap sleeve that finished with a bit of bias binding on the lower part of the armhole.
This pattern has two different bodices; one for size A/B bra cup and another for C/D bra cup. There are also side darts in the bust which are easy enough. There is no zipper to this top, as it goes over the head, so there is quite a bit of ease, which makes the actual process of fitting minimal, if at all. I did not need to make any modifications to the pattern at all, except at the neck opening, which I always/usually taper in at the neck to 1/2" smaller so that I don't have any gape at the neckline, which is just something that I've found over time as being particular to my body.
Overall, I'm super-happy with this pattern. Sometimes it's fun to sew a really quick project that's still a pleasing finish. Looking forward to trying it out in the Art Gallery fabric, and I got the purple colorway of this fabric too so I could make another voile version.