Welcome to Reader Tutorial week here at Sew Sweetness! Each day this week will feature a wonderful step-by-step sewing tutorial from one of my readers. Today's guest post is from Sha at Craizee Corners. Sha has a couple of great quilt patterns, which you can see here! My favorite is the Floating Squares quilt!
Hi everyone, Sha here from Craizee Corners. I'm very excited to be here to show you a mug rug I recently made. I just love mug rugs, I have several throughout my house all ready for a cup on coffee or tea. I also have a few that are larger, like this one to be used as a traveling placemat for when I am lazy and want to eat one the couch.
If you are a follower of Craizee Corners you already saw the projects I made for V-Week, but if you missed it here's a link to the valentines projects I came up with this year. This is an extra project I made, just for this guest blog post. I hope you like it.
I call this mug rug Hugs and Kisses.
What you will need: I used Always and Forever fabric.
4 - 5" x 5" red heart fabric
8 - 2 1/2' x 2 1/2" solid white fabric
1 - 5" circle pink swirl fabric - with Steam-A-Seam or other 2 sided fusible web on the back
1 - 3" circle white heart fabric - with Steam-A-Seam or other 2 sided fusible web on the back
1 - 2" heart pink fabric - with Steam-A-Seam or other 2 sided fusible web on the back
thread to match the fabric
14" x 14" fabric for backing
14" x 14" batting
2 - 2 1/4" x WOF strips red for binding
For this pattern you will be sewing connectors onto squares. They are really simple to make. Here's my tutorial http://craizeecorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/corner-triangles-aka-connectorsa.html on connectors. please read this before you start.
1. With each of the 5" x 5" squares you will be sewing 2 white 2.5" x 2.5" squares onto opposite corners of red squares. Follow the connector tutorial for instructions. This is what your finished squares should look like.
2. Sew all 4 squares together with a red point towards the center. Make sure to match the white points up.
3. Now it's time to make your quilt sandwich. place the backing piece face down on your table, then the batting and finally the top piece face up. Pin or baste as you would like.
4. Take the heart applique piece and machine or hand applique it to the 3" circle. You can keep the paper from the fusible web on the back of the circle applique while stitching the heart on. Machine or hand applique with a blanket stitch. Now peel the paper off the back of the circle applique.
5. Fuse the 3" circle to the center of the 5" circle and then fuse the 5" circle to the center of the X. Be sure to make sure the heart is face up. Machine or hand applique both the circles with a blanket stitch.
6. Quilt as you would like. I quilted between the X and the white points.
7. Bind as normal.
There you go a Hugs and Kisses mug rug!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, if you make one of these I'd love to know and see any pics you have.
Please come by and visit Craizee Corners. This week I am doing a series on Sandy Gervais fabric complete with a great giveaway. Or join my Twister QAL that starts next week.
Thanks Sara for letting me visit your wonderful blog !